Position Title: Solid Waste Industrial Mechanic
Company: City Of Alachua
Location: Alachua County, FL
An employee assigned to this classification is responsible for diagnosing, repairing, overhauling, designing, fabricating and maintaining a wide variety of industrial machinery and mechanical equipment with minimal supervision.
- Performs preventative maintenance as required on all industrial machinery and mechanical equipment.
- Uses a variety of equipment such as arc, mig and tig welding equipment, plasma and acetylene cutting equipment, chop saws, breaks and shears to custom build equipment accessories or custom components, and assorted power and hand tools.
- Supervises and coordinates the activities of subordinate employees including determining work procedures and schedules; issuing instructions and assigning duties; reviewing work, recommending personnel actions; conducting performance reviews, and conducting departmental training and orientation.
- Designs and fabricates components for the operation of the material conveyance systems; drafts plans for new equipment design and determines type and quantity of materials for fabrication.
- Responsible for lock out safety procedures for high voltage electrical equipment.
Diagnoses, repairs, and rebuilds components of waste management industrial machinery and mechanical equipment.
- Installs new equipment for conveyance, sorting, compacting and baling systems.
- Exudes a positive customer service focus.
- Calculates tonnage of materials needed to be processed per hour to determine belt speed and install photo eye cells for consistent speed tonnage and flow.
- Trains operators on use and operator maintenance of conveyance systems.
- Advocates building organizational culture through aligning decisions with core values including: integrity, honesty, respect, diversity, innovation, accountability and communication.
- Prepares records and reports on work accomplished.
- Operates hoisting, lifting devices during repair of machinery.
- Creates schedules and procedures for repairs and maintenance; evaluates repairs or installation of any equipment and determines best time to eliminate down time for operation.
- Performs duties listed, as well as those assigned, with professionalism and a sense of urgency.
- Ensures equipment is operating correctly and repairs are made correctly; read diagrams and schematic drawings of equipment to determine operational repair procedures.
- Performs metal fabrication and repairs as needed.
- Considerable knowledge of the methods, practices, tools and equipment used in welding, industrial machinery and mechanical equipment maintenance and repair.
- Highly skilled in maintaining, diagnosing, repairing and rebuilding a wide variety of industrial machinery and mechanical equipment.
- communicate in writing.
- Highly skilled in the use of tools, machines and testing instruments of the trade.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with subordinates, other County employees, County officials and the general public.
- Ability to supervise, enforce disciplinary procedures and appraise employee performance.
- Considerable knowledge of the occupational operating and repair characteristics of a wide variety of industrial machinery and mechanical equipment.
- Ability to read diagrams and schematic drawings of equipment to determine operational repair procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions necessary for equipment maintenance and repair.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions, as well as to