Position Title: Senior Library Manager
Company: City Of Alachua
Location: Gainesville, FL
This is administrative, managerial, professional library work supervising and coordinating the activities of a large branch or major library department within the Alachua County Library District.
- Arranges for the maintenance and security of building including opening and closing.
- Ensure patron compliance of all policies and procedures through effective communication and enforcement.
- Plans, directs, controls and coordinates the activities of a large branch or major library department.
- Analyzes impact of new technologies on library services and recommends action.
- Supervises and coordinates the activities of subordinate supervisors and employees including determining work procedures and schedules; issuing instructions and assigning duties; reviewing work; recommending personnel actions; conducting performance reviews; and conducting departmental training and orientation.
- Provides comprehensive bibliographic, reference and reader’s advisory assistance in person and by phone to library patrons, using printed materials, on-line services and referrals. This includes guiding library patrons in the selection, organization and interpretation of library materials, and in the effective use of technology and library facilities.
- Coordinates, manages and reviews special projects and a variety of programs for the public.
- Assists in establishing plans, priorities, and procedures and recommends changes in organizational structure and resource allocation to meet branch/departmental and District goals.
- Serves as Library District liaison to the community, working with schools and organizations to provide services to the public.
- Develops materials collections District-wide by recommending materials for acquisition, rotating materials to and from Headquarters and the branches and weeding materials from the collection.
- Prepares operating budget and long range plan proposals for the department or branch.
- Performs related work as required.
- Monitors the branch or departmental budget; recommends budget transfers.
- Keeps informed of current trends and new professional techniques by reading professional
- journals and publications, and through participation in professional organizations, workshops and conferences and communicates to appropriate staff.
- Ability to effectively supervise and coordinate the activities of subordinate employees.
- Ability to maintain complex records, perform in-depth research and prepare reports.
- Ability to contribute to the growth and development of the branch or department, within the appropriate service-levels and to function as a member of a team.
- Understand how and why Library policies and procedures were developed.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, the community and library patrons.
- Considerable knowledge of major fields of learning comprising the social sciences, natural sciences and humanities.
- Knowledge of operating budget practices, procedures and methods for development.
- Thorough knowledge of professional principles, practices, systems and techniques of public librarian-ship.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Comprehensive knowledge of management and supervisory techniques and the ability to apply them to create effective and efficient service.
- Knowledge of technological, general and specialized references sources.
- Considerable knowledge of available public library program/service materials and the ability to obtain them.
- Ability to oversee the planning and administering of programs and public presentations of interest.
- Ability to assist in analyzing library problems and to suggest practical solutions.
- Knowledge of titles, authors and contents of books and other materials.
- Ability to use, explain, and interpret library facilities, equipment, services, materials, and policies and procedures to patrons and staff.
- Ability to use word processing, presentation and spreadsheet applications.
- Ability to use emerging technology for patron service.