Position Title: Public Education Program Coordinator
Company: City Of Alachua
Location: Gainesville, FL
This is responsible, professional work designing, implementing, and coordinating the activities of the Solid Waste and Resource Recovery Department’s public education and Tools for Schools programs.
This is an emergency essential classification. Upon declaration of a disaster and/or emergency, all employees in this classification are required to work.
- Represents assigned department during community projects and at public, social, and business gatherings.
- Coordinates/supervises volunteers and interns/specialists, as appropriate.
- Exudes a positive customer service focus.
- Promotes goodwill through such publicity efforts as speeches, exhibits, films, tours, and question/answer sessions.
- Arranges for and conducts public contact programs designed to meet department specific objectives.
- Researches data, creates ideas, writes copy, designs and lays out artwork, edits, contacts media representatives, or represents assigned department directly before the general public.
- Purchases advertising space and time as required.
- Plans and directs the development and communication of information designed to keep the
- public informed of Alachua County Department specific programs (i.e., Public Works, Fire/Rescue, etc.), goals, objectives, and initiatives.
- Prepares and coordinates grants related to public education for department specific activities.
- Arranges for public relations efforts in order to meet needs, objectives, and policies of individual, special interest group, business concern, non-profit organization, or governmental agency, serving as in-house staff member or as an outside consultant.
- Coordinates contracts with public relations firms.
- Prepares and distributes fact sheets, news releases, photographs, scripts, or tape recordings to media representatives and other persons who may be interested in learning about or
- publicizing department specific activities and/or messages.
- Performs the duties listed, as well as those assigned, with professionalism and a sense of urgency.
- Provides training to Alachua County teachers and other community leaders via workshops and presentations using resource information and materials pertinent to the educational goals and commitments of the department.
- Designs, plans, implements and evaluates public education programs and projects for pre-K through 12th grade and generic audiences (from young children to senior citizens).
- Advocates building organizational culture through aligning decisions with core values including: integrity, honesty, respect, diversity, innovation, accountability and communication.
- Ability to plan and organize work and manage time.
- Ability to complete necessary paperwork in accordance with state and local ordinances.
- Ability to manage contracts.
- Ability to supervise/coordinate activities of volunteers and interns/specialists.
- Ability to operate motor vehicles, both sedans and cargo van types.
- Ability to coordinate and prepare technical reports, general audience presentations and campaigns.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing and to prepare and organize written reports.
- Ability to prepare, implement and evaluate pre-K through 12th grade educational programs.
- Thorough knowledge of current departmental program practices and principles.
- Ability to establish and maintain a good working relationship with co-workers, the general public, contractors, local business owners, and elected officials.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local regulations related to assigned program area.
- Ability to implement education, advertising, journalism and environmental education practices, individually and combined.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local education programs related to departmental goals and objectives.
- Ability to attain proficiency in the operation of computer hardware, software and related programs.
- Ability to produce graphics and displays and coordinate special events.